Saturday, July 31, 2010

One Week

Wednesday I strategically contorted my bike into the back of my parents convertible just in case the threatening thunderstorms held off long enough to practice the swim to bike transition during the Wednesday night CNY Tri club practice tri. As I trudged into murky Oneida Lake for the second time, Elyssa was braving the sludgy slimy weedy water in her first attempt. We made it out 14 minutes later (two minutes less than last week) with cut up feet and seaweed clinging to us very much against our will. I took my time transitioning (it's really difficult to pull bike shorts on over a bathing suit... and sneakers for that matter. Luckily my tri suit came the other day and I won't have to worry about any of that in the actual tri. Once on our bikes, Angela joined in for the 14 mile bike course (we had planned on doing half but missed our turn). Elyssa took off, and not wanting to be left behind Angela and I chased after. Thus ensued an unending 14 mile cycling sprint at an average speed of about 22 mph. I don't know how we managed but knowing riding like that is even possible makes me really excited about race day. As we glided back to transition I was more than ready to throw in the towel but Elyssa wanted to run. So off we went for one very uncomfortable mile. As hard as it was I think it was a good prep for the race. I at least feel like it's a good possibility I will be able to finish in one piece.

Last night I ran about a mile and this morning I did a little less than my normal swim. I think tapering may be harder than I thought it would be. It sounds easy to take it easy for a week but I feel a little like I'm being lazy and I don't know what to do with all of this extra free time. I watched a few videos of transition and how to change a bike tire... my stomach is starting to turn with looming race day jitters. Game day is in the 10 day forecast and it looks promising so far, 85 and sunny. With no wet suit I have a feeling I might freeze in the morning but maybe the adrenaline will have a warming effect. Lets hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment