Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Over that Hurdle

I finally hit my stride in the pool, or maybe I should say stroke... a few days ago I had a pretty good swim workout. My competitive spirit showed up after a long leave of absence when I found myself in the lane next to a fellow swimmer and lagging a bit behind. I slowly began to lengthen the glide portion of my stroke and have also been trying not to breathe on every stoke. It wasn't long before I caught up to him and passed him by... of course he might still have been able to kick my newly confident butt in any sort of distance race.

Today I was supposed to go Sailing, which I consider a workout on certain days. The wind proved too much for us however and thanks to a low battery on my brother's motor I at least got a little upper body workout in while I paddled his 28 foot sailboat back to the dock. After my nautical plans for the day had sunk, I decided to take my bike out for a quick ride before lap swim tonight. After a 30 min ride I had a mental fight with myself over swimming tonight and the motivated side won. So off to the pool I went with one knee feeling like it had been hit with a hammer and my now typical feeling of exhaustion. After losing count of my laps multiple times I figured in 15 minutes I must have at least come close to the Tri distance, so I waited, caught my breath and then swam 6 full laps (12 lengths) without so much as touching the side of the pool. Up until now I seriously wondered A) if all the swimming I have been doing is actually making me any better and B) if I'd ever be able to swim 600m consecutively without a hungry shark on my tail. As slow as I may have been I was hardly winded... There's hope for me yet!

Listening to: Closer to Fine/ Indigo Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment