Thursday, July 22, 2010

in Memoriam

To say that today was awful would be an understatement, it was a day I wished would never come. Today I had to say goodbye to my first and favorite workout buddy. My sister and I had to make the decision to have our horse Misty put down today due to a fluke infection that ultimately damaged the nerves which are necessary for horses to swallow.

Of all the sports I've ever played none have ever been as exciting or as fulfilling as horseback riding. Riding is typically thought of to be an "individual sport." I know better though, there's not an equestrian anywhere that would find success without their horse. And mine was the best. I never rode a horse I liked riding as much as Misty, it was as if we were meant to find each other.

It was the sport that sparked the spirit of competition in me. With every success I was on top of the world and on the days that didn't go so well I always had a furry shoulder to cry on. She was forgiving when I made mistakes, tested my limits when I wanted to give up and was always there with a nudge to encourage and comfort me. She taught me patience, courage, how to win and lose, the value of hard work and determination and a million other things over the 15 years I was lucky enough to spend with her. She was a best friend and loyal partner who will hold a place in my heart forever.

My favorite memory of her was on a day when I let her run as fast as she could across a grassy field, the excitement and pure joy of being on a running horse is hard to beat and I think she liked running in the open best too. There are many other quiet memories I remember, sitting in her stall while she sleepily licked the salt off my hands, when she would nuzzle my pockets looking for carrots, the way she'd come running when I opened a package of graham crackers and the way she put her head up in the air when you itched her favorite spot. It's never easy to say goodbye to someone who meant so much to you and sadly this day came too soon for everyone who knew and loved Misty. She was a wonderful horse, more than any two little girls could have ever asked for. She will be missed.


1 comment: