Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Panic! At the Lake Front

So today was the day of my very first open water swim. 600m same as the tri.

We arrived at the practice late and just had enough time to sign in and head over to the start where swimmers were already entering the water. I should mention I did not want to go in at all, I was ready to throw in the towel before I even got wet, thankfully Angela convinced me that we could do it. A fellow triathlete filled us in on the course as I tried to keep down my sport beans.

The first few steps into the water were sandy but very shortly after my feet met rock and weeds. At this point I glanced back longingly at the shore and told myself that if the lady who looked like she might be close to 3 times my age can do it, I should buck up and swim. As soon as I put my face in the water I realized that this would be mostly a blind swim as I could see absolutely nothing. The first buoy looked like it was a mile away. I broke out the doggie paddle and couldn't bring myself to actually swim for at least 150 yards. I finally decided that if I wanted to get anywhere I had to swim like a real swimmer and once I started the front crawl it was much easier going. But I was terrified most of the swim. Every time I thought I might be over my head I wished I had a pair of floaties. Every time the weeds touched me I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. Slowly but surely I started passing people and getting closer and closer to shore... it was mostly scary after that last turn towards home... I think it's over my head almost the whole way back. I finished well though and wasn't too out of breath. I think my time was about 16:20. Considering the panic attack, the fact that we were that last people in the water and the one or two times I walked in the shallow water I thought that was pretty good for a first try. Angela did well too, despite not ever wanting to do it again and cutting her knee on a rock I think she'll be back for more. It would be nice to get another under our belts before the Tri, maybe next week.

I have two things to work on, not practically swimming circles around people to get by and sighting so I don't swim to the right so bad.

I've had a very bad week of sleep and more stress and worry than I can handle. Emotional stress is as debilitating as physical stress if not more. I'm going to try and at least get a good nights sleep and hopefully I'll have some time to run and bike tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment