Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Operation: Just Go Faster

I can now somewhat easily swim 600m
I have been able to bike 17+ miles for awhile now
I have successfully finished a 5k run

So this year will not be a matter of whether I can finish the triathlon it will be more about how fast I can finish.

I'm sort of over being disappointed with my 5k time. It was less than ideal, but I'm sure I didn't run my best that day. From this point forward I will be adding in drills and sprints and some faster shorter runs. In the pool I'll work on finding a good warm up, continue using my zoomers, throw in a few sprints here and there and push my overall distance further. On the bike I'm going to start riding the relatively flat tri course and getting some speed work outs in after our longer rides.

It would be infinitely more helpful to have some sort of coach or triathlon veteran to get a little advice from. The organized bike rides always seem to leave too early and I just end up watching the others quickly disappear ahead of me anyways. Maybe if I got the clipless pedals I'd stand a chance. I just wish everything to do with triathlons didn't cost so much! Tack on the pedals, shoes and cleats to aero bars and a wet suit and I'll be broke for the rest of the summer. I might have to make do with the gear I have this year. My wish list is always longer than the digits in my pay check can keep up with. I think I would seriously consider swimming the first leg of the Tri-Oswego race as a relay team if I had the wet suit. I have to have some protection from the evil seaweed and various fish monsters that live in the harbor. Plus the lake has to be freezing, I don't think blue is really my color.

Maybe I'll win the lotto or something. fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment