Friday, May 13, 2011

Night Before Komen

Not working out is bad for me. I'm sitting here downing a pint of Benny & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide, which I gotta believe contains some sort of highly addictive substance. Other than stuffing my face I'm waiting out the wash cycle on my laundry so I have something to wear to the Komen Race tomorrow. There was an article in Runner's World recently about a guy getting tasered for running naked in a marathon. I'm thinking clothes are preferable to a taser. I walked around Sports Authority for 45 minutes today trying to find a new running shirt but I couldn't stomach spending $20 on a tank top because it has a check mark on it. Plus I really don't want more pink workout clothes and I think they were fully stocked for Komen. Or maybe there's just a high percentage of women's athletic clothing made in pink... which I resent if true. Anyway it's not a fashion show, it's a race, my sneakers are pink so I feel like that's enough to be supportive of the cause.

I gave the running a break for the last two days so yesterday I finally made it back to the pool. After my initial 600m on and off, 150m with Zoomers, and about 4 or 5 more laps the remaining swimmers left and I had the pool to myself. I started a circle swim in half of the pool and decided to see how far I could get. Before long 3 laps turned into 6 which turned into 10 and finally why not just do the whole 600m? And that's exactly what I did. No stopping, no gasping for air and not once did my feet hit the bottom. I wasn't even that tired or out of breath. Further confirmation that a mental block rather than of lack of ability is holding me back. Good to know I'm capable of the distance already but I'll have to focus more on getting over the panic in open water.


My goal for tomorrow is to run the full 5K, no matter how slow. If I'm being honest under 27 minutes would really make my day. Running with other people can sometimes mess with my rhythm so I'll have to concentrate on keeping a steady pace in order to finish strong. Apparently running with an ipod is frowned upon. If it weren't, my hypothetical playlist would be as follows:

4:05 See You Later, See You Soon/ Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers
Good pace song & aptly titled for the start line 4:05
4:21 Peaceful Easy Feeling/ Eagles
Good running rhythm song 8:26
4:04 I need a Dollar/ Aloe Blacc
I like the groove in this one 12:30
3:35 This Town/ OAR
This song was stuck in my head when I went skydiving, it apparently has a calming affect 16:05
3:25 Comeback Kid (That's my Dog)/ Brett Dennen
Past the halfway point, need to pick up the musical pace at least 19:30
3:36 Misery/ Maroon 5
I will most likely be wishing I didn't have a whole extra mile left at this point 23:06
3:26 Shot in the Dark/ Augustana
I love this song lately hopefully it'll inspire me to keep it up for a few more minutes 26:32
3:34 Fight Like a Girl/ Bomshel
I have a feeling in this race this song would be a good one to bring me home 30:06


I had to leave a lot of my favorites out, guess I'll have to learn to run longer.
My laundry is done, I need sleep, I'll report back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment