Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tri Time!


New clips and shoes, so far so good...

Boomer "helping" with transition set up

My Bike is racked, my nerves are shot and my bank account is suffering.

This morning I took the bike out to make sure everything was running smoothly after it's tune up. As I pulled into our usual cycling spot I noticed a group of fellow enthusiasts who did a double take while I drove by. A few minutes later one of them came over and told me about their group that ride together about 3 times a week. I'm really excited to ride new routes and hopefully learn from the more serious riders. They seemed really nice and even though it'll be hard to keep up with them I think it'll be good for me and Angela. The girl I was talking to suggested I take my bike out for a 10 mile ride before the race tomorrow so I took her advice, I hope she's right!

My bank account has been suffering with all the new equipment and the new tri suit I bought today. I'm hoping they were all good investments, since Angela and I are planning on a big bike race and a 10K run this year and 2 Triathlons next year. With any luck the suit will be comfortable and dry fast... I'm pretty sure it's more than a little see through so I'm going to cross my fingers no one notices but me!

Rockin the Lime Green Handle Bars

I guess it's time to talk goals. I remember last year saying I would never do another tri when I rolled out of bed, when I dragged myself out of the water, when I was trying to catch my breath out on the bike course and every time I knew I had a whole lot longer to go. This year I hope I can enjoy it a little more. Just like last year I hope I don't drown or panic, and I especially hope that I can swim well and not walk like last year. For the bike portion I'd like to shave 5 minutes off my time from last year. If there's wind that might not be possible, but I'd like to be in the top 33% of my age group in the bike at least. I've been neglecting the bricks this year so I'm a bit worried about a run after pushing so hard on the bike. I'm going to try like hell not to walk during the run. A lofty goal would be to run the course in under 30 minutes. Probably a little tough since I average about a ten minute mile during a 5K. I'll try my best and that's all I can do... til next year anyways : )

My play list on the insanely early drive to Oneida Shores tomorrow includes:

Good Life/ OneRepublic
Keep Your Head Up/ Andy Grammer
Faster/ Matt Nathanson
Free Fallin'/ Stevie Nicks Version
Chasing the Light/ Mat Kearney
Wetsuit/ The Vaccines
Learning to Love Again/ Mat Kearney
Bottom of the Sea/ Matt Nathanson
Just Stay Here Tonight/Augustana
Shot in the Dark/Augustana
This is your Life/ Switchfoot
Science & Faith/ The Script
Free/ Zac Brown Band
Free Fallin'/ Stevie Nicks Version
She Got the Honey/ Mat Kearney (really loving his new cd!)

I might throw the theme from Rocky in there just to pump myself up... but mostly I need chill music to settle the inevitable nerves.

So that's it for now, time to watch Harry Potter, wind down for the night and hope tomorrow is a fantastic day : )


1 comment:

  1. Wish I was able to go today and cheer you on! I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete