Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mind Games


I've decided Triathlon is more of a mental sport than I originally gave it credit for. I always knew running was, my inner monolog of "I hate running, I hate running, I really, really hate running..." is most likely a big contributor to the fact that I'm still incapable of running a 5K. I do actually love running... once I'm finished.

Today was a big day for me... I got in the pool and happily did not drown. Actually by the end of my workout I was swimming 6 lengths at a time and felt like I might even be able to do more. The girl in the lane next to me was swimming 2 lengths to my 1, but at least she was only doing 1 lap at a time, I swear she had flippers. Even with the little mermaid in the lane next to me I kept up my tortoise pace and didn't get discouraged. The key to swimming for me is relaxing and concentrating on breathing, I may be slow but I can get the distance down when I keep that in mind. I timed my 6 lengths and it was just about 3 minutes. Since the Tri is 24 lengths, the 600M should take me 12 minutes at my current pace, assuming I can maintain it.



I feel pretty good about the swim at this point... there's a long way to go till that open water swim but with roughly 16 weeks to go I feel like I have a good head start.




listening to: Anti-D/ The Wombats

No comments:

Post a Comment