Thursday, April 28, 2011

In Search of Vitamin D

My legs have been replaced with jello, my lungs have taken on the characteristics of a lifetime smoker's, and if my muscles don't stop cramping up I'll be forced to adjust my diet to that of a chimpanzee, lots and lots of bananas.

Angela and I braved the wind and did our 9 mile loop. The giant hill got me today as a calf cramp ripped through my left leg and I couldn't pedal. I walked about 30 seconds and was able to resume my uphill climb so it wasn't terrible. During my run Wednesday my calf muscles were really tight, so badly that I tried icing my right leg last night. Not sure what I was trying to accomplish by that, but that's what athletes do right? they ice things that hurt... While swimming the other night I was racked with foot cramps so bad that I just completely quit kicking altogether. It was interesting that it hardly made any difference. That's probably not a good sign.

I drive quite a bit and it gives me a lot of time to over think pretty much everything. That's probably why I have this blog, to write down a little of the clutter in my head. Anyway today's topic of contemplation was whether or not to sign up for the Tri in Oswego. There are a lot of pros and cons to consider. The biggest con is that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to swim 800m let alone swim it in the Oswego harbor where there's an over abundance of seaweed. Next it falls on the weekend before I leave for Ireland, so it might be a bit overwhelming. And then there's the whole coming up in about 9 weeks thing. Not sure I can slap my mess of a body into shape by then. On the flip side it is in our home town, almost an identical bike route to our usual run, and last year I remember wishing I had signed up for more than one Tri. We could always do it as a relay but I'd have to convince a few people first...

Till then I think I'll sign up for the Komen Race for the Cure. It's just two weeks away, only a 5K but it'll be nice to have an official time down to see where I'm at. Not to mention just running the whole thing would be a big milestone for me.

Today I chose bike riding over overtime. Some days you just have to break out of the office, get outside and soak up a little vitamin D. Today was that day and I needed it badly. It was nice to see the sun and even if it wasn't the greatest workout ever, it made me happy... and that was enough for me.





Listening to: Shot in the Dark/ Augustana

No comments:

Post a Comment