Friday, June 4, 2010

Foot cramps, Fatigue and Family Swim Fridays

Wednesday night I had to go to the YMCA to be trained on the weight machines... I did a few reps at each station and over the next two days paid for it dearly. The trainer showing me the ropes told me that for a young person I have very little upper body strength... One night of lifting may have robbed me of what little I did have because today I almost dropped the water cooler refill jug on my foot. I caught it in a bear hug type grip saving me from making an idiot of myself right in front of the office safety bulletin board.

After lifting I gave swimming another try. The pool closed early so I only had about 30 minutes. I think I'm slowly... very slowly, improving every time. I'm having a hell of a time with foot cramps though, every single lap. I looked at some stretches you can try to prevent them from happening that I will experiment with tomorrow.

Thursday and tonight I decided to take off after feeling very run down and fatigued. I did however go to family swim with my mom and nephew for the whole 20 minutes we were able to hold his attention. It was actually a lot of fun to be in the pool for once and to see how happy Alex was jumping in and splashing in the water. Maybe I'll try to channel his excitement tomorrow morning when I attempt to get back into the swing of things.

Good news today, the Tri swim has been shortened from 800m to 600m. Since 1 down and back lap is still somewhat of a challenge for me I'm thrilled they're knocking 4 off. I also read today that the life guards in boats along the swim will allow you to grab on to the side and rest if necessary. I'm going to try like hell not to wuss out but it's nice to know that my hopes of completing the Tri won't be lost when I start hyperventilating in the first event!

No comments:

Post a Comment