Saturday, February 18, 2012

This One's for the Girls

I dragged my sleepy self from a nice warm bed this morning to brave winter winds and the cold hard pavement. I met the Tri group at the Y despite my reservations that I wouldn't be able to keep up. My last run was about 2 weeks ago at the college with Angela, I didn't make it much more than a mile and had to walk on and off more than usual. It's easy to get discouraged with running, too many bad days that leave you questioning your capability and then seemingly random good days that have you guessing what exactly it is that contributes to those vast differences.

Today was a little of both. First off I'll mention that our group today consisted of three very active men and then me... Luckily for me they did one of their easy runs so that I could attempt to keep up. I did manage to keep up for almost two miles, slightly out of breath. Before hitting the two mile mark however a problem that I've been having for awhile attacked with vengeance... lately when I run, about 10 minutes in I get cramps so bad I can barely move, feel like puking and sometimes find it hard to breathe. And by cramps I don't mean in my legs : ) The only way to get through it is to stop and breathe deeply for about 3 minutes while attempting to walk and not immediately fall to the ground in the fetal position (yes it hurts that bad). So not the kind of thing you want to happen when running with a bunch of guys. I pulled the girl card though, I would rather do that than puke in front of them. The good thing about the whole debacle is that directly after the pain goes away I can run all day without having another symptom. So I decided to try and meet them when they looped back around.


After my brief walk I started jogging, weaving up and down the side streets probably freaking out the neighborhood with my haphazard route that had me circling the same area so much that it's a miracle I didn't make myself dizzy. After awhile I figured I must have missed them or misunderstood the route so I headed back to the YMCA. When I got there I kept going because I felt lame ending my run early so I threw in a bridge loop, as I turned for home I spotted them and met them back at the starting point. So in the end I ran for about as long as they did, I had to walk that one time but I was shocked when I got home, mapped my run and saw that I actually did make it to the 5 mile mark. It's nice to know I still have it in me even in the off season.

Listening to: Charlie Brown/ Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment