Friday, February 17, 2012

Spinning my Wheels


It's been awhile, but that's the trouble with the off season... it's too easy to stay off your feet and on your butt. Winter has been mild to make an understatement, we've only managed to hit the mountain with our snowboards once and cross country ski a whopping three times and March is just around the corner. We're really missing our x-country treks and more specifically being able to use them as an excuse not to run. I've discovered winter running is the heartlessly brutal cousin to the humidity riddled bitch that is summertime running. Between the gusting frigid air, frozen face, numb feet, heavy clothing, and overheating and shivering on the same run I could go for a nice toasty warm run.

The silver lining to winter training is that it forces us indoors and into classes like yoga and spinning where we happen upon very helpful people and challenging workouts. Spinning in particular has been keeping us in shape and in the Tri training mind set. Conveniently this class is specific to triathletes so we have been picking up running and cycling tips on a biweekly basis. For some reason during our last class I may have possibly agreed to run tomorrow morning with the the small group of devoted Saturday morning winter swimmer/runners. I'm bypassing the swim for now, at least until I get a few lap sessions in on my own to control that whole gasping for air/drowning thing I do. Unfortunately I think we may have lost most of what we once had as far as running stamina is concerned. I'll report back tomorrow after I get my ass handed to me.

Listening to: The Road/ Frank Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment