Sunday, February 19, 2012

Simple Little Kind of Free

This morning I happily awoke to slightly more than 2 inches of new snow. Although I'm down my usual workout partner I always have my faithful backup of the four legged variety. After passing most of the morning grumbling about all my sore muscles from yesterday's run we geared up for snow and headed out for a cross country trek.


Conditions were less than ideal for me and my skis but for Boomer they were absolutely perfect. I decided to keep him leashed for the first section along the road for his safety but as soon as we turned away I set him loose. Rarely do you see such joy as in an animal running free, I think Boom was channeling his inner greyhound today as he went flying ahead of me and charging back. Lucky for me he never goes too far and almost always comes back once I call, only occasionally taking the scenic route.



After our last run when we were chased down by a rottie, I have been a little reluctant to take Boomer along. At least I know I can scream loud enough to elicit help. Lucky for us even though the dog nipped at him a few times and I had to pick him up over my head, the neighbors helped us escape shaken but unharmed. It would be nice not to have to worry about these things, but if it's a choice between my dog's health/ happiness and the occasional mishap I guess it's better to take your chances. Although if I have to, I might buy dog repellent spray to carry with me for our own safety. As much as I hate the idea of ever harming an animal, I would have gone down fighting that rottie if it had attacked any worse than it did. I'm crossing my fingers it never happens again!

Listening to: Born to Run/ Bruce Springsteen

2 comments:

  1. How awful! Did you every find out who the Rottie belonged to? Seems like people need to take better care of their animals.

    So 2 inches of snow was all you needed to strap on the x-country skis? That's good to know! I don't have the kids next weekend so I'll be praying for snow so I can give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually it was a bit warm for it today, the snow was sticking to my skis and slowing me down, but I'll take what I can get!

    ReplyDelete